Grace and Hope

Grace and Hope
Wait for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! Pslam 131:3

Friday, August 19, 2011

Chicago Hot Dogs…or Houston Hot Dogs?!?

This week is a pivotal week in pregnancy because twenty-four weeks, in most academic circles, marks the week of viability. I think of the moms who have delivered prematurely at this point in pregnancy and I think of how short and bittersweet their experience would have been as a pregnant mom. God protect this pregnancy and keep these babies growing healthy and strong…inside…at least until November!
At this time, each baby weighs approximately 1 pound and 4-5 ounces. They measure about 12 inches from head to toe, which is the length of a Chicago hot dog. Everyone seems to have the story that they were pregnant during the hottest summer on record…and well it looks like I will have that story to share as well. I have to argue that our babies are Houston HOT dogs because we have had the hottest summer on record. In fact, we have well surpassed the number of consecutive days over 100 degrees (this does not include the heat index which generally reaches 106-110 every day), and we are approaching the record for having the most days over 100 degrees in an entire summer—we are only 3 days away from tying the record and according to the forecast, we also will shatter this record! Needless to say, this makes one hot momma and two hot babies!!
From this point forward, the organs continue to mature and the babies put on weight. Every day that the babies are growing inside equals about three days less in the NICU from this point until about 32-34 weeks gestation. Let me repeat myself…babies as much as I love you and can’t wait to meet you, I can most certainly wait until at least November!
We had an appointment this past week and it was so incredible to see how big the babies are and where on my belly they are actually laying. Baby A is always on my left and Baby B is always on my right, which makes it easy to decipher who is moving. However, poor Baby A sometimes has a rough time because Baby B is either kicking her in the head, or waking her up. Well, Baby A was having some ‘pay-back time’ during the ultrasound…she was sticking her little ol’ butt right in Baby B’s space, way across midline. After all, Baby A is the bigger sister and she needs to start showing it! I’m beginning to learn more about their personalities this week too as the movements get more frequent and stronger. Baby A will always be sure to tell me when it is time to eat. If she is hungry for breakfast, my next meal or a snack, she is not shy about giving me a great big nudge (hmm, maybe she takes after me and gets a little cranky when she is hungry!). Baby B, although slightly smaller, she loves to eat! She is most active after eating…I can tell she has a real appreciation for food—just like her dad! Our appointment was 5 days ago, but based on the projected weights this week and last week, they seem to be on target. Baby A weighed in at 1 pound 4 ounces and Baby B weighed in at 1 pound 3 ounces. We are back on the two week schedule for appointments, so I look forward to the next time we get to see our babies again soonJ
My lifelong best friend, Liz, sent me a very special gift for my 30th birthday (yes, I have entered the next decade—yikes!). I took a picture of the serving dish so you could see how perfect it is! More to come next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment