Grace and Hope

Grace and Hope
Wait for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! Pslam 131:3

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Twenty-Five Weeks…I Have Never Been So Thankful To See You!

Although I continue to have high hopes and many prayers lifted up to remain pregnant until some time in November…right now I’m so thankful for small steps, this week, reaching twenty-five weeks. Unfortunately, I had a little more of an eventful week than I had planned…but thanks be to God, we are still reporting good news.
Hindsight is always 20/20…but looking back, it is possible that I have had a urinary tract infection for at least a week or so, but the symptoms are somewhat difficult to decipher when you are pregnant and drinking so much water. By Sunday this past week, I realized something was very wrong…and was admitted to the hospital at that point in time. Long story short, I had a kidney infection which resulted in very frequent contractions. I was started on a lot of meds to control the contractions because we were doing everything possible not to go into labor at 24 weeks—the cusp of viability. At the time, we were not positive why the contractions were happening and the doctor was unsure if I would ever leave  the hospital at that point….but after 3 days of seeing very little improvement, then changing the antibiotics to the correct one, specific to the bacteria identified, I made drastic leaps of improvement. Very quickly the tune changed and we were optimistic for a weekend discharge. And praise God…I’m now home, thankful for every day that I’m pregnant so that these girls can grow big and strong. Until further notice, I will remain on strict bedrest and treated with meds for contractions. To give you an idea of what strict bedrest at home looks like—I have to be laying flat on my left side 24/7 (even for eating meals), except for bathroom privileges (thank you Lord!), and my luxury for the day is a 5 minute shower, as long as I’m sitting. Let me assure you, I will do everything I can to do what is best for these babies, but ultimately, God is in control. With that being said, not only am I thankful for every day that passes, but I continue to be so thankful for my wonderful husband who has sacrificed his own sanity to keep mine! Of course, he has always been the man of the house, but now he also has to be the wife of the house, and much, much more considering I can’t so much as make myself something to eat! He really is partaking in this pregnancy now….but according to him, he has been having all the signs and symptoms of pregnancy since the beginning!!!! Yes, we have been able to keep a sense of humor through it all. Many thanks to our amazing family and friends who are going above and beyond as we continue on this journey.
The one perk of this week was getting to know my babies even better (when you have to be monitored 3x a day, you learn more every day). In a previous post, we learned that the babies hiccup to develop their diaphragm muscles. Although I can’t feel it yet (give me about another 2-3 weeks), you can hear it on the monitor. It is one of the sweetest noises ever…in the background of hearing two healthy heartbeats, you hear this rhythmic hiccup coming from one of the babies  (sometimes we even knew which one was hiccupping too!). Talk about falling in love with your babies. Although Baby A sometimes gets a reputation of being somewhat lazy, let me assure you, she is not lazy whatsoever. She is positioned head down and feet inwards, so her movements are more subtle. However, she was definitely the most active baby. Many, many, many a times when we would put her on the monitor, the nurses would say she “took a walk” because she would be in a completely different area several times throughout my monitoring. Baby B, ironically enough seemed to be less active as the week went on, and guess what—sure enough I got an ultrasound this past Friday and she flipped and her head is down and feet were up which explains why I can’t feel her little feet as much anymore. However, whenever I lay on her side, she gives me a heck of a fight about it! Yesterday I had feet very low again, so she seems to not know which end is up quite yet! While in the hospital, I had a test in which I had to fast for 12 hours during the day (it is criminal to starve a pregnant woman during the day by the way!) and my babies have never been so angry before…ever!! These babies really had a lot to say about not being fed and after finally eating around 9:30pm at night, the babies had the best night sleep ever…they were exhausted and their bellies were finally happy! I love getting to know the babies better and even the nurses were picking up on their different personalities…they truly are precious little babies already. I had an ultrasound prior to discharge and our babies are growing well. Baby A weighed 1 pound and 10 ounces and Baby B weighed 1 pound and 9 ounces. Keep growing babies!
At the twenty-five week mark (this past Friday), the babies measured approximately 13 ½ inches in length and are similar to the size of a rutabaga. On average their weight is about 1 ½ pounds (my babies are bigger!). From here on out, the babies bulk up and all their organs continue to mature. Two noteworthy things this week are that their heads of hair now has pigmentation…meaning that it has turned the color that it will be when we meet our little girls. This whole week I was trying to figure out if they would have hair coloring closer to Jay’s or mine….maybe one of each?!? Also, we know that the babies have been hearing the noises/voices on the outside, but now when there is a loud noise, they can actually cover their ears with their hands to dampen the noise! Talk about the cutest thing ever—I can see it now!
For those of you who are able to attend my baby shower this coming weekend (SO excited!!), we still continue to plan on celebrating these little miracles. I think we have a lot to celebrate. I’m so thankful for my wonderful hosts who are planning such a wonderful event…thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment