Grace and Hope

Grace and Hope
Wait for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! Pslam 131:3

Thursday, October 20, 2011

We Couldn't Be More Thankful...Having A Family Is Better Than We Ever Imagined

Can we say we are now at 33 weeks and counting? Or do we now say we are 1 week and counting?! We have both officially known our girls now for 1 full week and it has been such an amazing week!

Babies born at 32 weeks are right at the border of needing respiratory support. We are happy to report, other than the first 12 hours of life, only Avery has needed respiratory support. That is a huge, major feat...we are so proud that our girls are so strong. Otherwise, the girls are behaving appropriate for their age. Typical things include phototherapy to treat jaundice, IV fluids and starting feeds (slowly), having episodes of dropping their heart rate and holding their breath (Aubrey is now on caffiene--just like for us, it is a stimulant, but it reminds her to breath), and reflux...but all in all, these are very minor things compared to what could have been the case if they were born at a much earlier age. We were very blessed that even though we had some hiccups during the pregnancy, the babies were able to grow inside for a full 32 weeks--to the day!

I apologize in advance that I have not been able to return phone calls, emails and texts at times. During the time when we were in the hospital, we were either visiting with the babies, or I was just in my room to get nursing care or eat. Now that I'm at home, well, there isn't much more to my life...either visiting babies, pumping to provide breastmilk for the babies, or eating, and well, I'm not really sure I should include sleeping in the mix because there is very little of that going on! I have been best buds with lactation consultants and due to some circumstances, I have to frequently pump, and pump, and pump, and pump some more! The good news is that it is a good way to establish my milk supply, the bad news is I only have one hour between sessions to get anything and everything done....keep in mind, this happens too at night, so I get 1 hour sleep at intervals...I'm pretty sure God is just preparing me for when the babies come home! God knew I needed some training! Of course, I couldn't do it at all without my husband and help from family and friends, we are so blessed. Our family and friends have helped us in so many amazing ways all along our journey and now is no exception. Thank you so much!

Recovering from the c-section is a slightly slower process because I don't have the stamina I once used to from over 8 weeks of strict bedrest. I might not be ready to run a marathon yet, but I'm sure I'll bounce back before I know it. I have to admit, being home is so refreshing. Not that I wouldn't be willing to give up my shower and have very limited abilities on strict bedrest until the end of the pregnancy, but I got to be honest, being home and sleeping in my own bed (I didn't even do that while at home on strict bedrest), I'm feeling pretty lucky all around!

We know everyone is waiting for pictures, and we got some so to share with you. What parent doesn't like to brag about their babies?!  I plan on continuing the blog weekly while the babies are in the hospital. Once discharged to home, it might be a bit more sporadic, but definitely  will post once a month at a minimum. Enjoy the pictures!

Picutres of Avery, the older and bigger sister: (She looks more like Jason and also has his personality, just like in the womb!)

Shortly after they removed her breathing assistance (CPAP), and when she is at her highest weight.

Sleeping with her pacifier, busy developing her muscles in her cheeks. An early picture when she is "chubby."


Daddy changing my diaper---wow, daddy is a pro at this!

Avery checking us out with her eyebrows raised. Check out all that pretty hair and her gorgeous eyes!

Sleeping comfortably....waiting for mom and dad to hold me.
Close up view of Avery's beautiful face. See how much she thinned out?!

Avery with Gramma and Nana




Pictures of Aubrey, the younger and smaller sister (She looks more like me and also has my personality, just like in the womb!)

Aubrey is more petite with blond hair--remind you of anyone you know?
Catching some zzzz's on her back. Just like mommy, she wasn't getting her hair washed every day in the hospital!

Close up view of Aubrey. I was just held by mommy and daddy and I'm a little bummed that now I'm back in my isolette!

Mommy loving on her little sweet baby. Looks like she is pretty cozy!
One of my favorite pictures ever...looks like she is praying and thanking God!

Aggh, the NICU life is so tiring, I think it is time for another nap.


Believe it or not, I'm the more active one, although you might not know it from this picture!


See you next week with more happenings and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment