Grace and Hope

Grace and Hope
Wait for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! Pslam 131:3

Friday, June 17, 2011

Comparing Apples and Oranges…


This week our babies are each the size of an apple or a small navel orange, measuring about 4 ½ inches in length (1 inch longer than last week!) and weighing between 2-3 ounces each. At our appointment last week, both A and B were measuring right on target, with A, just a tiny bit bigger, measuring one day bigger than dates…so we have one apple and one orange…does that mean we have one boy and one girl…two girls, or two boys?? The timing of our appointment last week was just at the cusp where they can start to define boy versus girl, but it was yet too early to make the final prediction. We anxiously await out appointment next week to see what the sex of each baby is…so excited!!
Our little pieces of fruit that we love so much are starting to develop their own personality at this point. Now, they are able to make different facial expressions (and last week we learned that they were learning how to smile and suck their thumb). We already know that Baby A is going to either be some sort of gymnast or sports player because on ultrasound that baby is always moving (since as early as week 8-9!). Baby B takes after Jason more, definitely more laid back….with a type B personality! In other news, the brains of each baby have completely developed structurally, and from this point on, the brain mass will just continue to increase. The ears have moved into their final position on the sides of the head and the eyes are almost in the correct position at this point too. One of the neat things (although I can’t say I have tried it yet…but it is giving me all sorts of ideas!) is that the babies can now sense light, even with their eyelids still being fused. If I was to hold a flashlight to my tummy, the babies would move away from the light. Movement…well, I have been feeling movement from both babies about once a day for almost a week and a half now. The movements are subtle, but there is no doubt about it. I can’t wait until they really start to shake, rattle and roll!! I’ve been fortunate enough at work to listen to the babies heartbeats (by Doppler). When I started around 12-13 weeks it would take some time to find the heartbeats because the babies were so much smaller. Oh the difference a few weeks will make! The heartbeats are so much louder now and you can actually detect them moving all around because of where I can trace their heartbeat! It has become the best thing about coming to work—listening to the baby’s heartbeat…it just makes me grin from ear to ear.J
After a very rough start to the week in terms of nausea and vomiting, it ended on a great note! I even felt well enough to make some banana bread yesterday-what a treat! I’m still on the pump, but I am trying to wean it again (which failed before, but hoping this time it will work), to start to make progress to hopefully get off the Zofran pump sometime in the near future. My hubby and I will be going on a “babymoon” (a weekend getaway to a nice resort) in late July, so I have to be off by then because the pump is not waterproof and I plan on spending the entire weekend in the pool. So I have a goal in mind and I will do everything I can to get off this pump for more than one reason these days! Have a great week and I’ll see you next week!

Look, we found an outfit for one of our babies....

No comments:

Post a Comment