Grace and Hope

Grace and Hope
Wait for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! Pslam 131:3

Friday, July 29, 2011

Are The Babies Getting Big…Or Is It Just Me?!?

Hopefully our babies are growing as fast as I’m growing, because I feel bigger by the day! Last week the babies were the size of a banana (or small cantaloupe) and now they are the size of a carrot. I didn’t know there was much of a size difference between this fruit and vegetable, but I guess there is something noteworthy to measure! Each baby also weighs about ¾ pound, or 10-12 ounces...hmmm, that reminds me of the weight of a good sized hamburger!
Speaking of food, I got one of my first real guilt trips as a mom this week. One of the milestones this week is that the baby swallows several ounces of amniotic fluid daily (up to 17 ounces!), for hydration and nutrition, but also to practice digestion (the intestines now can absorb sugar) and swallowing. Did you know that the amniotic fluid taste differs based on what you ate during that day, and if you eat a lot of a certain food during the pregnancy, the babies will already have taste buds for it and prefer that food growing up? I have a guilty conscious because the healthy meal that we know as macaroni and cheese has become a staple for me because ironically enough it is a food that I know I can “slide down” when I’m feeling sick, but more importantly, it basically is the only food or drink in my pantry or frig that I have not yet thrown up during the pregnancy. Talk about a comfort food! Let’s just say I wouldn’t be surprised if these babies find that macaroni and cheese is their favorite food…and yes, I guess I’m the guilty one for that!
In other news, red blood cells are now developed by the bone marrow (where you and I have red blood cells formed), and the spleen and liver will also continue production of blood cells until birth. This week, I continue to feel the babies kick and move, but I felt Baby B either twist around or do a somersault—not quite sure which, but it wasn’t the normal kicking or punching movement. Also, our babies are now following basic circadian rhythms during a 24 hour period, which is composed of about 12-14 hours of sleep every day (I think I’m a little bit jealous!). Lastly, the arms and legs are now in proportion to the rest of the body.
So far so good…let’s keep praying these babies “read the book” and behave themselves! More next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment