Grace and Hope

Grace and Hope
Wait for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! Pslam 131:3

Friday, July 8, 2011

My Little Sweet Potatoes-You are Growing Sweeter Each Day!

Eighteen weeks today…we are halfway there, since the overall goal is to reach 36 weeks...whooo hooo!!! On average, babies at 18 weeks weigh about 7 ounces (approximately 200 grams) and measure 5 ½ inches long. Keep in mind, when I provide measurements of length, it is only from the top of the head to the “rump,” the legs are not included. We had an ultrasound at 17 5/7 weeks and Baby A was in a difficult position to get accurate measurements of the head. With that being said, they had an estimated weight of 6 ounces for Baby A, but she measured exactly per dates. Baby B was easier to obtain her weight and she weighed in at 7 ounces exactly and also measured exactly per dates. Given that they are measuring on target for dates and A has always been the biggest baby, it is likely that the 6 ounces is a low estimate…but needless to say, they are both growing perfectly. Baby A was spine up on ultrasound along with Baby B (she really likes that position since that is the only position we ever see her in!), so it was much harder to tell them apart when we were looking at them on the ultrasound—I think they are trying to confuse me already!
I have never been so amazed by God’s perfect creation until this pregnancy. It is just absolutely amazing and such a testimony to God’s creativity and perfection on how so many intricate details develop each week. I think the highlight of development this week is that the babies are beginning to develop their sense of hearing. Right now, it is limited, but let me assure you, these babies are getting an earful!! Right now, they can hear tummy rumbles (and there is no doubt I should get a medal for the amount of tummy rumblings that I have!), my heartbeat, hiccups (speaking of which, the babies developed this skill too this week!), and last but not least can hear Gnocchi barking, who is our treasured and spoiled dog. Hmmmm….they hears Gnocchi’s voice before Jay’s or mine…let’s hope they are dog lovers! Reproductive organs are also well underway. This week the uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and placed in the correct anatomical position. Myelin, which is a protecting covering over the nerves, is also forming and will continue to develop until after the babies are born.  Another big landmark is that twice this week I was able to feel the babies kick on the outside. Jay still has not gotten this opportunity yet, but is looking forward to it. I’m also starting to learn what the babies seem to move the most to. Baby A seems to get pretty excited over bananas, while Baby B seems to prefer peanut butter and carbs (hmmmm, maybe we have one health nut on our hands and another who likes to dig into other yummy foods like her mom and dad!)
My babies are getting sweeter every week. I can see improvements in the nausea/vomiting department. I still have a bit of progress to make and am still taking Zofran, but I can see changes which is very exciting. Maybe they will grow out of their nicknames-Double and Trouble! Otherwise, I’m feeling well and continue to pray that these babies keep on growing!!!  

18 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment